torstai 31. maaliskuuta 2016

The Statue of Constantine

Rome - Fragment of the Statue of Constantine, Pal. dei Conservatori
Photo: Giancarlo Gasponi

The Colossus of Constantine was a colossal acrolithic statue of the late Roman emperor Constantine the Great (c. 280–337) that once occupied the west apse of the Basilica of Maxentius near the Forum Romanum in Rome. Portions of the Colossus now reside in the Courtyard of the Palazzo dei Conservatori of the Musei Capitolini, on the Capitoline Hill, above the west end of the Forum.

The great head, arms and legs of the Colossus were carved from white marble, while the rest of the body consisted of a brick core and wooden framework, possibly covered with gilded bronze. Judging by the size of the remaining pieces, the seated, enthroned figure would have been about 12 meters (40 feet) high. The head is about 2½ meters high and each foot is over 2 meters long. (Wikipedia)

Palazzo dei Conservatori on rakennus Piazza del Campidoglion laidalla Capitoliumissa Roomassa. Nykyään se on yksi Musei Capitolinin kolmesta rakennuksesta. Palazzo dei Conservatori rakennettiin 1300-luvulla. Palatsin alakerroksessa toimi ammattikuntien toimipaikka ja oikeusistuin. 1520-luvulla palatsi uudistettiin Piazza del Campidoglion ohella Michelangelon suunnitelmien mukaisesti. Palatsiin on sijoitettu paavi Sixtus IV:n vuonna 1471 perustama taidekokoelma.

Museon kokoelma on karttunut ajan myötä. Paikkansa museosta ovat saaneet Konstantinus Suuren pää ja käsi, jotka ovat säilyneet osat antiikin aikaisesta, yli 10 metriä korkeasta veistoksesta, sekä Romulusta ja Remusta imettävä Capitoliumin naarassusi. Myös aiemmin palatsin edustan aukiolla sijainnut alkuperäinen Marcus Aureliuksen ratsastajapatsas on löytänyt paikkansa Palazzo dei Conservatorista. (Wikipedia)

Received from Liliya, St.Petersburg, Russia
Distance: 538 km
Travel time: 10 days

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...