maanantai 11. toukokuuta 2015

Hill of Crosses and Skirsnemunė churches


Hill of Crosses, Siauliai 
The Hill of Crosses is a site of pilgrimage about 12 km north of the city of Šiauliai, in northern Lithuania. The precise origin of the practice of leaving crosses on the hill is uncertain, but it is believed that the first crosses were placed on the former Jurgaičiai or Domantai hill fort after the 1831 Uprising. Over the centuries, not only crosses, but giant crucifixes, carvings of Lithuanian patriots, statues of the Virgin Mary and thousands of tiny effigies and rosaries have been brought here by Catholic pilgrims. The exact number of crosses is unknown, but estimates put it at about 55,000 in 1990 and 100,000 in 2006.
From Rita, Lithuania
More here

St. George's Church and Evangelical Lutheran Church, Skirsnemunė, Lithuania

The neogothic Church of St. George was built in 1903 and the Evangelical Lutheran  Church has been in use since the middle of the 19th century.

From Gyte, Vilnus, Lithuania

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...