The Cathedral rising on the northern side of the Senate Square is the stage of national and academic festive services and one of the most popular tourist sights. The church is part of Helsinki's Empire era centre and a landmark for those arriving by sea. It has become the symbol of the whole of Helsinki. Earlier called St. Nicholas Church and Great Cathedral, the current main church of the Helsinki Diocese was completed in 1852. The Kazan Cathedral located in St. Petersburg is considered to be the model for the neoclassical style of the church. Sculptures of the twelve apostles guard the city from the roof of the church.
Excavated directly into solid rock, the Temppeliaukio church is situated in the heart of Helsinki. Because of its special architecture, the church is one of the main attractions in Helsinki. The church hall is covered with a dome, lined with copper and supported on the rock walls by reinforced concrete beams. The interior walls are of rugged rock and rubble wall. Before noon, the sunlight spreads from the row of windows surrounding the roof periphery to the altar wall, where an ice-age crevice serves as the altarpiece.
St. John"s Church (Johanneksenkirkko) stands in Punavuori on the hill where midsummer bonfires take place. Representing the neogothic style, it is the largest stone church in Finland.
Uspenski Cathedral was completed in 1868 and it was designed by the Russian architect Aleksey M. Gornostaev. The cathedral has 13 gilt domes, depicting Christ and the 12 Apostles.