keskiviikko 11. toukokuuta 2016

Churches in Russia


The Church of Great Martyr St. George the Victorious in Kolomenskoe, 1685
I received this card from Yuri in Moscow.
Distance: 1,171 km
Travel time: 17 days

The wooden church named after great martyr St. George the Victorious was built in the North of Russia, on the bank of the shallow Yorga River. 

The holy, glorious and right-victorious Great-martyr and Trophy-bearer George was a Christian Roman soldier killed under Diocletian at the beginning of the fourth century. Though he was born in Cappadocia, his mother was from Palestine, and thus he is a particular favorite of many Palestinian Christians. He is also the patron saint of Moscow, Georgia, and England, amongst other places. 


Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, Moscow
This card came from Maria in Moscow
Distance: 1,149 km
Travel time: 16 days

The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour  is a cathedral in Moscow, Russia, on the northern bank of the Moskva River, a few blocks southwest of the Kremlin. With an overall height of 103 metres (338 ft), it is the tallest Orthodox Christian church in the world.

The current church is the second to stand on this site. The original church, built during the 19th century, took more than 40 years to build. It was destroyed in 1931 on the order of the Soviet Leader, Joseph Stalin. The demolition was supposed to make way for a colossal Palace of the Soviets to house the country's legislature, the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Construction started in 1937 but was halted in 1941 when Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union during World War II. Its steel frame was disassembled the following year, and the Palace was never built. Following the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the current church was rebuilt on the site during 1995-2000.
The original church was the scene of the 1882 world premiere of the 1812 Overture composed by Tchaikovsky, which became internationally famous.


Myös täällä


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...